A-10AMX: Is there anything about this project?

Regio Ammiraglio

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
So apparently in 1978 the usa proposed a new version of the A10 to the Italian air force called A10AMX. This version had various differences in order to funfill the requirments of the Italian air force, with the main modifications being the Turbo-Union RB.199-36 engines that gave to this new version a max speed of 830 km/h. This version was proposed in order to partecipate at the Italian amx competition, later winned by the amx A11 itself. I've heard rumors that the A10AMX was presented at le bourget 1972 and a brochure with Italian camo was made, do anyone know something more about this project?
1719490846123.png

Last edited:
I wonder whether any modifications had to be made to the airframe, considering that this variant would be significantly faster than the standard A-10, at least, as far as I'm aware.

So apparently in 1978 the usa proposed a new version of the A10 to the Italian air force called A10AMX. This version had various differences in order to funfill the requirments of the Italian air force, with the main modifications being the Turbo-Union RB.199-36 engines that gave to this new version a max speed of 830 km/h. This version was proposed in order to partecipate at the Italian amx competition, later winned by the amx A11 itself. I've heard rumors that the A10AMX was presented at le bourget 1972 and a brochure with Italian camo was made, do anyone know something more about this project?
View attachment 732916
There's this artwork of the two-seat N/A-10 with low-bypass-ratio engines, probably F404. It gives an idea of how the nacelles would look.

20-png.721082