Mike Badrocke passed away

LowObservable

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Sorry to say that Mike Badrocke, genius cutaway artist and design envisioner, has left us at age 85.

We got on well at Flight and he was an enormous help to my early career and my work in the 1980s, not to mention how much I learned from him and his work about how aircraft are put together. He had a new and different approach to cutting into airplanes.

Working at Flight gave me the privilege of watching Mike work, from enlarging and adjusting an image on a magical projection device known only as the Shufti-Scope, through a mesh of 4H pencil lines incomprehensible to mere mortals, to an inking-in process that ended up showing exactly what you wanted to see at whatever depth in the structure.

Here's an unexpected tribute to Mike's work, from the recent Gordon &co book on the Tu-22M series. I can hear his throaty chuckle even now...

RIP mate, can you play The Molecatcher on a harp?

Attachments

• badfire.jpg
    badfire.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 82
Very sorry to hear this!

Question:
shuftiscope - Wiktionary, the free dictionary
shuftiscope (UK, military, slang, dated) An invasive medical instrument used to test a patient for dysentery. Eh wot?

I grow up fascinated with his art. I developed an interest for technology thanks to people like him. And that interest is amongst the things that make me happy. My gratitude to Mr Badrocke. RIP.

:(
May Mr. Mike Badrocke rest in peace.

As a teenager in the 1990s, I loved buying the monthly issue of Air International, either at book shop near a train station here in Germany or at a local magazine shop during my holidays with my family in Ireland. I still remember buying the issue with his first F-22 cutaway drawing in May 1997.
Just a few days ago, I was looking through some old issues, where I saw his cutaways.
I was asking myself, what Mike was doing in the 2020s and if he was still drawing cutaways. I thought of even asking these questions in this forum, but I unfortunately forgot it. :(

I met the fabolous work of Mike Bradocke in early 80's thanks to the "L'Aviazione" enciclopedya published in Italy by De Agostini bros.

1714732211353.png

And back in early 90's with its follow up "Take Off" always by De Agostini bros.

1714732301168.png

It looks like a publication from Marshall Cavendish Ltd in many languages and many different titles in the '80ies.

R.I.P. Mike Badrocke