KC-Z / Next-Generation Air Refueling System (NGAS)

I also spoke to a couple of young KC-46 and KC-135 crews at ARSAG about an NGAS/KC-Z platform and we were all in agreement this next-gen tanker should be a pure gas hauler and not a wonder-plane which which tanks, carries cargo and personnel, carry as much gas as possible without the other stuff.
I'd agree about the tankers being pure tankers, but might it be worthwhile to make a cargo variant using the same airframe? Might make a good replacement for some of the EC-130 variants out there to.

Maybe it depends on the or a forward basing location?
USAF is talking about lean forward basing, flying out ground crews and gear to a base rather like how the Marines put together their floating aircraft Detachments. And that definitely suggests a tanker capable of hauling ground crew, tools, spares, and maybe even GSE if you end up flying off a 3km long stretch of straight road.

Eye of the beholder I guess
I understand why the fuselage (needed length for USAF tanking requirement) but it looks like bodged cosmetic surgery attaching a fighter like fuselage to a flying wing design. Shape of the nose cone and the wing leading edge and vertical tails too....

But yeah, entirely subjective.

P.S. Also, please don't settle your wish for BWB with this monstrosity. Keep up the faith;DDD

Last edited:
Personally, I'd rather see 2000 cheap drones with a new rocket assisted launch solution to 20k feet to increase range. Perhaps SpaceX could build a reusable, cheap, rocket assist system? This LM drawing looks crazy expensive.

Exquisite solutions are the nemesis of the USAF. CRG operations and “hot-pit refueling”, for the next peer conflict, is going to use C-130's. That's a hot production line. Build and buy more C-130's.

Exquisite solutions are the nemesis of the USAF. CRG operations and “hot-pit refueling”, for the next peer conflict, is going to use C-130's. That's a hot production line. Build and buy more C-130's.
And get shot down more in theatre, where both side got extra long range AAMs flying around? In the Pacific theatre you will need to assume the airfields in both First Island Chain and Second Island Chain to be affected, thus the USAF will need 6G long range fighters, and related stealth support craft to enter the theatre. Drones with long legs won't be cheap at all.