Nice model.

The M1 tank based self-propelled air-ground defense system (AGDS) was a proposal published in US Armor magazine, July-August 1996 edition. It was developed by Dr. Asher H. Sharoni and Lawrence D. Bacon from Western Design Howden (WDH). It was a legitimate concept but of course never realised. Armed with two 35mm guns and 12 ready to fire ADATS missiles it would have been a killer. No doubt would have been in high demand for OIF.

http://www.knox.army.mil/center/ocoa/armormag/backissues/1990s/1996/ja96/4agds96.pdf

Attachments

• agds1.png
    agds1.png
    56 KB · Views: 406
  • agds2.png
    agds2.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 457
  • agds4.png
    agds4.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 519
  • agds5.png
    agds5.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 457
Any relation to Liberty?

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,696.0/highlight,liberty.html

Thanks for the confirmation, it's a nice concept.

Regards.

Serendipity...

I was looking for something along the lines of the 'skewed feed' to lend credence to a SF tale....

Just what I needed !!

( In ~ 36 inch, not 35 mm ;-)

Sorry...

In the knox.army.mil pdf, there's a graphic of the rotary auto-loader and the skewed path from magazine to tilted breech.

If the M1 Abrams AGDS had been built and entered service, it would have likely been used as a fire support vehicle similar to Russia's BMPT Terminator. Like the BMPT Terminator, the AGDS would have been used to support friendly tanks and infantry in urban and built-up areas by suppressing and eliminating enemy anti-tank infantry. The surveillance and tracking radars would have been deactivated and removed; the questionably-reliable MIM-146 ADATS would be restricted to ground targets; and the remotely-operated now-cancelled OCSW replaced with the CROWS armed with the M2 Browning or Mk 19.

The design indicates that the radar and the primary optic/laser designator for engaging air targets can fold down, good features to have if there is artillery landing around for example. So, I don't know if it would make sense to completely remove the radar. Ideally the Army would have had the foresight to think these vehicles might be needed for their intended role again. I'm doubtful that ADATS was as unreliable as is sometimes claimed, in the real world it only entered service in small numbers with the Canadians and I'd guess those units were pretty low on the list for any sort of funding related to supporting or improving their systems. Who needed short range air defense back in the early 2000s? Nobody invested much in it at the time.

Using the MIM-146 solely for ground targets is a very expensive prospect compared to many other missiles, especially if that target isn't an armored fighting vehicle of some value. But it's possible the missile 'launch bays' could be repurposed to launch other missiles. I'd expect that primary optic could be used for a SALH function even though I think ADATS was a beam-rider. That would make Hellfire an obvious choice with a variety of different warheads available.

As far as I know this design never got beyond the proposal by two engineers, so there are some things that seem a bit "off" and a whole lot of detailed design work and refinement that would have to occur. I believe they underestimated the size of the ADATS missile for example. Hopefully they could fit four each in those missile bays but I'm not sure about six.

IDK if that Metal Storm variant is just something someone made for Reddit, or a real idea the Metal Storm guys had (questionably using an Abrams variant that never made it beyond some drawings). Considering how odd some of the ideas they threw out there were, I wouldn't be entirely surprised. It was always a technology that seemed to struggle to find some viable use, and I'd say that one in particular wasn't one of them.

Last edited: