Unknown advanced Martin seaplane concept

XP67_Moonbat

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This seaplane artwork is pictured off the back cover of Stan Piet's Seamaster book. Upon emailing him for more information on it, he replied that the art was all he had.

The 2-view is something I hand-drew to today based off the artwork.

Attachments

• Adv Seamaster 2.jpg
    Adv Seamaster 2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 649
  • Adv Seamaster_0001.jpg
    Adv Seamaster_0001.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 645
Wouldn't rotating that aircraft during take-off always mean plunging the fins ?

Jemiba said:
Wouldn't rotating that aircraft during take-off always mean plunging the fins ?
Skids? Hydrofoil?

Great find my dear XP67_Moonbat,

and nothing about it in the book; Les Avions Martin,and may be it was Model-358,I know the
M-358 was similar to M-329,but may be it looks like it in mission and supersonic performance
only ?.

Arjen said:
Skids? Hydrofoil?

Well, good idea ! I regarded the section, were the planing bottom changes, as the pivot point.
With a ski arrangement, as in the Seadart addidtional height and degrees of rotation could be
gained.
Thanks for the drawing, btw, well done ! ;)

Attachments

• step.gif
    step.gif
    53.8 KB · Views: 528
A ski probaby would be a good idea. I guesstimated on the underside of the plane. All I had to work with was the one artwork on the back of the book.

I emailed Stan Piet to see if he had any more information on this one. Sadly, this one drawing is all he has on it. :-\

The wingtips look odd -- perhaps a portion of them deploy and retract to act as skis as well?

I was thinking about that too. On close up, it looks like the bottom of the tip floats are shaped like the Seamaster's. Maybe they are deployable. Hard to know for sure from the angle of the artwork. Would kinda make sense.

Like I said, all I had to go on was that one picture on the back cover of the Seamaster book. Even Stan Piet said so. Without a presentation or even so much as an actual 3-view, we'll never know.

It's shame that a lot of the older companies didn't think of preserving some of their documents for the future. I can only wonder what other treasures were designed by Martin and toher companies that are now lost to time. :-\