Science Fiction Cover Art

Let's just say that if I had a choice between a falcon and a swan, I'd take the dodo.

Covers from pre-Warhammer issues of White Dwarf which used images (some recycled) by well known science fiction artists. Eddy Jones (Issues 12 & 22), Jim Burns (Issue 43, a rare fantasy image from this artist), Angus Mckie (Issue 20, recycles the cover from 'The Fenris Device') and John Harris (Issue 41)

Attachments

• White_Dwarf_12 (Eddie Jones).png
    White_Dwarf_12 (Eddie Jones).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • White_Dwarf_20 (Angus McKie).png
    White_Dwarf_20 (Angus McKie).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • White_Dwarf_22 (Eddie Jones).png
    White_Dwarf_22 (Eddie Jones).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • White_Dwarf_41 (John Harris).png
    White_Dwarf_41 (John Harris).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • White_Dwarf_43 (Jim Burns).png
    White_Dwarf_43 (Jim Burns).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
The cover by Mike Van Houten to a work by Ursula Le Guin, that's commonly referred to as a novel, but is really a piece of speculative anthropology, a gilmpse into a far future Napa Valley and the people who live there entitled 'Always Coming Home'. When it first appeared in 1985 it was a multimedia extravaganza for the period being accompanied by recordings of the various songs featured in the story orchestrated by a friend of the author, composer Todd Barton. This component disappeared from subsequent reprintings, such as the Grafton edition whose cover is featured here.

Attachments

• Always_Coming_Home_1988_Cover.jpg
    Always_Coming_Home_1988_Cover.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 9
I think especially on a realistic science and technology focused forum like this that an *extremely* strong and bright dividing line needs to be drawn between actual hardcore *science* fiction and effing "multimedia extravaganza" fantasy including "speculative anthropology". This forum is about hardware, not squish-ware. But also, please don't sue me.

Last edited:
I agree with you. Our treasure is the hardcore nucleus of the forum and our aim must be on preserving it. I have no doubt about that.
But considering this thread is in the "Bar" sub section of "Discussion and Speculation" section, we can allow some off-topic threads because the level of containment here is reasonable safe.

in his Terran Trade Authority series
When I first encountered that series in the late 1970s I was looking forward to seeing its great potential fulfilled.
Alas, history did not go down that road.

Only 2 books from it I got, and I still have them, Spacecraft 2000 to 2100, and Great Space Battles.

When I first encountered that series in the late 1970s I was looking forward to seeing its great potential fulfilled.
Alas, history did not go down that road.

Only 2 books from it I got, and I still have them, Spacecraft 2000 to 2100, and Great Space Battles.
I have those too, as well as Starliners and Spacewreck. If you have a hankering for those (or any other books, for that matter), I recommend checking out https://www.bookfinder.com/.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom