And we thank you for your work.

---signed, whoever the new Johnny Walker is..

It still has marshallers... it's where they put spastics and Tourettes...folks who do jazz hands for show tunes...the drones just ignore them...that way they don't land in the smokestack if he has a grand mal

I can't seem to find a source right now, but I think one of the things they are doing with the MQ-25 is using machine vision to let the flight deck crew direct it around the same way they marshall manned aircraft.

Nice development. Will give the others some cold sweat...

I can't seem to find a source right now, but I think one of the things they are doing with the MQ-25 is using machine vision to let the flight deck crew direct it around the same way they marshall manned aircraft.

No, I got this wrong. There were experiments toward doing this a decade or so ago, but the MQ-25 actually has people assigned to translate the yellow shirt commands into inputs for the drone.

New photo has emerged, it seem to be very small :
Bear in mind you're only seeing the front half of the ship in the side-on picture. Scaling from the gangplank at the rear in the overhead shots, I'd guess somewhere between 70 and 100m in length and 20 to 30m beam. Call it about the same size as a Type 056 corvette, but with a much wider hull form and a tiny island instead of conventional superstructure. The Naval News article says she's a catamaran, which would fit the chunky length to beam ratio, but massively limit internal space below deck, likely meaning no hangar.

She isn't the first dedicated UAV mothership in the PLAN, that would Bo-Sha 1, and presumably Bo-Sha 2, moored astern of her in the shot in your original post - note the helipad markings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Shark_No.1. What she may be is PLAN's first CTOL UAV carrier, but that's hardly game-changing. She's a tiny technology demonstrator compared to the 7000t NRP Joao II Damen are building for the Portuguese.

Many Chinese domestic media stated that this aircraft carrier is the Type 076 amphibious assault ship (possibly a modified version)
Generally speaking, a "drone aircraft carrier" with a displacement of about 15,000 tons. It has the ability to take off and land large fixed-wing drones and can be used for medium and low-level tasks such as situational awareness, battlefield surveillance, and anti-submarine search. Complementary to the Type 076 Lightning aircraft carrier.

A lot of features, fancy!

GJ11_1.jpg

Perhaps the GJ-11 UCAV will be up there as well.

China builds the world's first dedicated drone aircraft carrier: 076 amphibious assault ship
China officially begins building drone aircraft carriers to adapt to amphibious operations in the Taiwan Strait and create a new model

Just a drone/UAV testbed or something modified from a barge, not a combat warship.
Plus, the so-called "Type 076" is just a vague guess from some media. Nothing is confirmed like a "UAV carrier" according to PLAN officials and there's even no any details of this project.

Last edited:
Many Chinese domestic media stated that this aircraft carrier is the Type 076 amphibious assault ship (possibly a modified version)
Generally speaking, a "drone aircraft carrier" with a displacement of about 15,000 tons.
If the thing in these pictures displaces 5,000t I'll be surprised (my money is on about half that). It's definitely not 15,000t.

Am probably worng but it could be a little bigger than Baylander IX-514 the former USN helicopter training but with a bigger fight deck if anything the PLAN after testing Drones they could use it for helicopter training assuming it not a R&D ship for future ships

If the thing in these pictures displaces 5,000t I'll be surprised (my money is on about half that). It's definitely not 15,000t.
Agree, upon that closer inspection - wasn't careful enough when I checked the information o_O