Merriman's Submarine Modelling Masterclass

With apologies offered, to David, for (potentially) pulling his "Master Class" thread off-topic, but as one of his many students over the years, I'm going to boldly take the liberty to post just the first page of one of the articles I wrote, back around 2009. I'll also include one image of what the cover of that particular back issue looks like, for some additional context as to what publication that (now long out of print) article was once published in.

Note that I had said, even back then (roughly 15 years ago), that I was well aware that I wasn't in the mainstream of hobbyists Specifically, that my motivations were often quite different. So what I'm saying, here, might not readily apply to most readers; but hopefully, it will apply to some of the folks that love studying the things David offers; and have benefited from that study time.

Article-by-Ward-Shrake_SFFM_Vol-14_Page-73.jpg

Article-by-Ward-Shrake_SFFM_Vol-14_Cover-Front.jpg

My point in posting what I'm posting, here, now, is that even back then, I had both thought and felt that I had actively been having very "good luck" for multiple years, at that point, in doing exactly what David Merriman had publicly said that people who were interested in the craft of building scale models should do: to pick the brains of those people who had info to share, and that were willing to share what they knew.

In my humble opinion, that's a FAR more rare combination than some folks likely believe? I say that in a wider context than "just" what Merriman offers -- how many top notch guitarists, or Luthier's, or bowling champions, or flower-planting experts (or pick many other categories) for instance, would ever spend years, sharing huge parts of what they know: asking for very little or nothing in return? Other than that some study be done? And that good questions be asked?

In closing, I'll also take the liberty of quoting some of my most-favorite parts from the glorious introduction to his awesome-but-also-somewhat-infamous "Dove" spacecraft scratch-building article, as originally posted on the CultTVman web site, from about the turn of the century ...

(quotes on)

Wouldn't you want to have the skills to achieve any subject, in model form, you wished? Would you rather not have to wait decades for your favorite SF subject to be produced as a simple kit? Hoping that some manufacturer takes on the risk of marketing such an esoteric subject at all!

(snip)

I've been to two Wonderfest events. Saw lots of talking in the halls, in the suites, in the restaurant downstairs. But, I only saw a precious few worthwhile SF vehicle models on the tables. There were a lot of talented people roaming the halls at that convention (and other competitions), why don't you take advantage? Stop those guy's who's work you respect, and suck their brains dry?

(quotes off)

To each his own, but to me, those comments have been solid gold for two decades or more.

Yes, I had long wanted to build models of things that were never likely to come out in kit form -- or if they ever did, they were likely to come in an unpleasing size or scale; or level of detailing; et cetera. Or they'd potentially need to be re-engineered to such an extent that building that same subject from scratch might be easier? Or would be something that pleased me, far more, when I was all done. After all, "correcting" someone else's kit isn't nearly as satisfying (to me) as sitting down with reference materials, and then, drawing up one's own working drawings, etc., etc., before a person's work bench gets cleared off, for the building and painting of the final model.

But as I mentioned in that SF&FM article, above ... who knows? Maybe I'm just "backwards," or I have spent far too much time living in a Mirror Universe, or something? Be advised that I am not trying to put anyone down. Nor am I trying to start a flame war. (One of David's other lessons, that I learned ages ago, was "push away from the keyboard".) I'm just speaking my mind, on a subject that interests me -- and then, I'm letting David continue posting whatever he fancies.

"Over and out". Now, back to your regularly scheduled show ... already in progress ...

I have considerable faith in both the quality and the quantity of any of Mister Merriman's replies. I try to learn what I can, up front, from whatever is offered ... and then, I try to ask good questions, for any stuff I don't understand. That has worked very well for me, for twenty-years-plus, now.
Good for you, Sir!

With apologies offered, to David, for (potentially) pulling his "Master Class" thread off-topic, but as one of his many students over the years, I'm going to boldly take the liberty to post just the first page of one of the articles I wrote, back around 2009. I'll also include one image of what the cover of that particular back issue looks like, for some additional context as to what publication that (now long out of print) article was once published in.

Note that I had said, even back then (roughly 15 years ago), that I was well aware that I wasn't in the mainstream of hobbyists Specifically, that my motivations were often quite different. So what I'm saying, here, might not readily apply to most readers; but hopefully, it will apply to some of the folks that love studying the things David offers; and have benefited from that study time.

View attachment 727634

View attachment 727635

My point in posting what I'm posting, here, now, is that even back then, I had both thought and felt that I had actively been having very "good luck" for multiple years, at that point, in doing exactly what David Merriman had publicly said that people who were interested in the craft of building scale models should do: to pick the brains of those people who had info to share, and that were willing to share what they knew.

In my humble opinion, that's a FAR more rare combination than some folks likely believe? I say that in a wider context than "just" what Merriman offers -- how many top notch guitarists, or Luthier's, or bowling champions, or flower-planting experts (or pick many other categories) for instance, would ever spend years, sharing huge parts of what they know: asking for very little or nothing in return? Other than that some study be done? And that good questions be asked?

In closing, I'll also take the liberty of quoting some of my most-favorite parts from the glorious introduction to his awesome-but-also-somewhat-infamous "Dove" spacecraft scratch-building article, as originally posted on the CultTVman web site, from about the turn of the century ...

(quotes on)

Wouldn't you want to have the skills to achieve any subject, in model form, you wished? Would you rather not have to wait decades for your favorite SF subject to be produced as a simple kit? Hoping that some manufacturer takes on the risk of marketing such an esoteric subject at all!

(snip)

I've been to two Wonderfest events. Saw lots of talking in the halls, in the suites, in the restaurant downstairs. But, I only saw a precious few worthwhile SF vehicle models on the tables. There were a lot of talented people roaming the halls at that convention (and other competitions), why don't you take advantage? Stop those guy's who's work you respect, and suck their brains dry?

(quotes off)

To each his own, but to me, those comments have been solid gold for two decades or more.

Yes, I had long wanted to build models of things that were never likely to come out in kit form -- or if they ever did, they were likely to come in an unpleasing size or scale; or level of detailing; et cetera. Or they'd potentially need to be re-engineered to such an extent that building that same subject from scratch might be easier? Or would be something that pleased me, far more, when I was all done. After all, "correcting" someone else's kit isn't nearly as satisfying (to me) as sitting down with reference materials, and then, drawing up one's own working drawings, etc., etc., before a person's work bench gets cleared off, for the building and painting of the final model.

But as I mentioned in that SF&FM article, above ... who knows? Maybe I'm just "backwards," or I have spent far too much time living in a Mirror Universe, or something? Be advised that I am not trying to put anyone down. Nor am I trying to start a flame war. (One of David's other lessons, that I learned ages ago, was "push away from the keyboard".) I'm just speaking my mind, on a subject that interests me -- and then, I'm letting David continue posting whatever he fancies.

"Over and out". Now, back to your regularly scheduled show ... already in progress ...
Permission granted, fellow Nerd!

Remember the 'good old days' of RMS? You and I were these two much put upon schmucks:

View: https://youtu.be/sTDENzpW7tw

I fondly remember a lot of cool old 1980s-era movies ... including all of the "Revenge of the Nerds" films, of course. Classic stuff! I figured one good movie reference deserves another, so here's one of my all-time favorite clips from one of the later films in that series:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la1AN3k0NCs

But then again, "Booger" was always one of my favorite characters from those films.

And here's a silly clip from the Rodney Dangerfield film, "Back to School":

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T3hXtyuX0g

I figured I'd post that specific one, in reference to what I had said, above, about my reaction to your Dove scratch-building article's intro. My reaction, upon first reading "Wouldn't you want to have the skills to achieve any subject, in model form, you wished? Would you rather not have to wait decades for your favorite SF subject to be produced as a simple kit? Hoping that some manufacturer takes on the risk of marketing such an esoteric subject at all!" was pretty much the "Yes! Yes!" moments, when Dangerfield's reacting to the teacher reading that poetry out loud.

(But not necessarily the rest of that clip -- I couldn't find one that only showed just that section. But no matter -- lots of that movie is still funny, after all of these years. Dangerfield's character's son's utterly humiliated reaction to his dad, saying that out loud in that class, still cracks me up!)

The scene with Kurt Vonnegut is still pretty funny, after all of these years, too:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ajIeIeJpY

But, back on topic for me ...

I was curious if I'd have any luck, ID'ing any more of your articles, in various publications, via some fairly simple eBay researches. Yup. I did find at least one more verified article from "Scale Ship Modeler": your "Balao" Nuclear Attack Submarine build, from their Oct 1988 issue. Prior to doing a bit of looking at cover articles, and making educated guesses, I hadn't known that one existed. It's on my radar, now. (Or should that be sonar?) Makes it fairly easy, when subs show up: not that many guys were doing them, in most publications, back then. (That I recall.) There were other sub models that were on the covers of various 1980s and/or 1990s back issues of that publication, but only that one back issue had a scan of the table of contents page, to verify it was your model / article. I'll keep looking, over time. Kind of a fun research project, and given enough time and patience, eBay tends to come through, as far as letting me know what's out there.

Last edited:
Comments: Yeah, that Sam Kinison scene fit that man's comedy style, perfectly! Good stuff!

Questions: I recall that in (at least) one of your older articles in the SCR / SubCommittee Report magazine, you had mentioned that you used the "Repro" product. Coolness, seeing it again. It was a low-shrinkage tooling resin, if I recall correctly? Something that had minimal distortion effects? Sort of a more "accurate" resin, than most other types? Also: it looks like you're using it here, as something like an initial gel coat ... sort of? Maybe? Is the GRP cloth going down under that layer; or over it; or both? I'm a bit confused on that part of your process. From other articles, I'm used to seeing you use West Systems epoxy resin, with various thicknesses / weights of GRP cloth, though.

I'm assuming the end game of all of these steps is that it will give you a nice, detailed mold / tool, in upper-and-lower halves; that you can use to create later GRP hull parts, with all associated surface-level details included, but with everything seen being laid up into a nice stout structure?

EDIT 1 -- I keep forgetting to ask you about the brand / size / type of that rolling cutter you use, to cut that tough cloth. Do you have a strong preference on what you use, for that sort of task?

EDIT 2 -- I'm assuming the photo showing moto-tools in use, is where you ground in some alignment keys, for the two mold halves to later line up, in proper registration / alignment?

Last edited:
Comments: Yeah, that Sam Kinison scene fit that man's comedy style, perfectly! Good stuff!

Questions: I recall that in (at least) one of your older articles in the SCR / SubCommittee Report magazine, you had mentioned that you used the "Repro" product. Coolness, seeing it again. It was a low-shrinkage tooling resin, if I recall correctly? Something that had minimal distortion effects? Sort of a more "accurate" resin, than most other types? Also: it looks like you're using it here, as something like an initial gel coat ... sort of? Maybe? Is the GRP cloth going down under that layer; or over it; or both? I'm a bit confused on that part of your process. From other articles, I'm used to seeing you use West Systems epoxy resin, with various thicknesses / weights of GRP cloth, though.

I'm assuming the end game of all of these steps is that it will give you a nice, detailed mold / tool, in upper-and-lower halves; that you can use to create later GRP hull parts, with all associated surface-level details included, but with everything seen being laid up into a nice stout structure?

EDIT 1 -- I keep forgetting to ask you about the brand / size / type of that rolling cutter you use, to cut that tough cloth. Do you have a strong preference on what you use, for that sort of task?

EDIT 2 -- I'm assuming the photo showing moto-tools in use, is where you ground in some alignment keys, for the two mold halves to later line up, in proper registration / alignment?
Yes, the Repro tooling resin -- a very heavily filled polyurethane system -- is suitable for hard-shell type tools or, as is my preference, used as the mother-mold used to back up a rubber glove mold. If I glass reinforce the Repro it's done over the cured tooling resin, not under it.

I typically go the epoxy-cloth route when making hard shell type tools.

I go the mother-glove tool route when the subject -- such as this 1/96 Types-21 submarine hull -- has severe and even negative draft features to it (limber holes, weld beads, access hatch plates, etc.). The rubber glove captures all that detail yet is flexible enough not to damage the laid up part or the glove itself during part extraction. The mother element of this hybrid tool serves to support the glove during the layup process.

Glass cloth cutters and other stuff relating to GRP materials, resins and tools can be had here: https://easternburlap.com/products/

The grinding shown in that last shot was me removing excess glove rubber from the edge of that mold.

David

I gotta nag for a bit, boss.

Where's your (expletives deleted) eye protection when using a cutoff wheel?!? I'd hate for you to say you had to stop modeling 'cuz a dremel wheel snapped and sent fragments into your eye(s)!

I gotta nag for a bit, boss.

Where's your (expletives deleted) eye protection when using a cutoff wheel?!? I'd hate for you to say you had to stop modeling 'cuz a dremel wheel snapped and sent fragments into your eye(s)!
Ah...err.... hmmm....awh....wha?

In my defense, it was a sintered Carbide wheel.

Ah...err.... hmmm....awh....wha?

In my defense, it was a sintered Carbide wheel.

With all due respect (which is admittedly a LOT of respect!), I gotta say that I'm with Mr. Kenny on this one, good sir.

Your grateful students, and the people that consider you to be a friend, want you to be very much alive and well, David! As a former USAF Data Analyst / Statistician, yeah, I do see your point ... and I probably do things I should not ever do, in shop situations, too (don't we all?) ... and yeah, the odds are sometimes very low, of certain bad things like Really Bad Shop Accidents happening to any of us ... but a part of me says, "Better Paranoid Than Sorry" and reminds me that there's a big and scary difference between "the odds are low" and "it cannot ever happen".

Freak accidents happen. Maybe not very often -- but "once" tends to be more than enough.

Example:

Several years ago, I was working as a score keeper and one of the line safety guys, at an annual shooting competition held at a large outdoor firearms range. (NRA's Whittington Center.) One of the many young people who was working, down-range, between rounds -- (picking up the large / thick, metal targets, and putting them back up on the hot metal rails, over and over and over, during that summer's multi-day competition) -- one of those young workers had a scary freak accident. Specifically, a can of the cheap black spray paint the target-setting kids were all using, to visually cover up prior rounds of splattered bullet's metal, literally blew up in her hand -- the weld seam may have failed, in the day's heat -- and the resulting explosion of paint covered her hands, her face, her clothes. It got all over the place. Including into that young girl's eyes. (Sons and daughters of the shooters were the main workers for the various tasks needed to get the down-range areas fully ready, between rounds of competition. Shooters put funds into a big tip jar, at the head score-keeper's table; and the kids divided it up.)

That freak accident is not a thing I'd easily wish on anyone: especially not with the cheapest-possible bulk-buy spray can paint being involved. But cut-off wheels sounds even worse?!?

Luckily, there was a hospital nearby (probably under ten miles distance, give or take) they could take that kid to; her parents were on the range (to go with her); and as luck would have it, there were two or more people, there, on the range, who had substantial amounts of medical training. One being a full-blown doctor. The powers that be triaged things, by putting (if I recall correctly) mayonnaise into that girl's eyes, to counter-act whatever chemicals were going to do the most damage to her eyes -- before driving her to see the local hospital's staff, for any follow-up work.

Happy endings mode ON:

That kid was back on that range, later that same day, with no apparent long-term problems with her eyes. The (crazy) kid apparently wanted to get back to work!? But no one there was going to let her do that. Her parents were trying to talk her out of it, and many shooters supported those parents. The kid finally buckled, at least for that day, due to dozens of people's stated opinions that she had worked enough, on that day. She didn't want her team to be let down -- but even the other kids she had been working with, insisted that she take the rest of that day off. Having been one of the many people that day, who found a few moments to talk to that kid, after she got back -- all brave and smiling, and with newly-paint-free face and arms -- well, I truly believe that kid felt like she'd be shirking her duties, if she took the rest of that day off. Kids think they are immortal, or something. But everyone there, parents included, insisted that she take the rest of that day off. And she was advised there's no shame in it, if she decided to not work on any of the rest of that competition's remaining shooting days. She got right back to work, the next day: that was her compromise. (Tough kid!) Her parents were quick to point out that it was their kid that WANTED to keep working: not them, telling her to. Which I believed, having seen that kid there, ready to work, again, the same day that she almost lost all or a portion of her eyesight. And I believed it was her choice, due to her embarrassed reaction, when shooters were asking her if she was under any pressure, by anyone but herself, to be going out there on the range.

If memory serves, the tips for the rest of that shoot, for those kid's work, rose significantly. It went from an under-appreciated set of tasks, to one that was highly rewarded, on that shoot.

My point is that the injuries we were all expecting were things like sunburn; heat exhaustion; not being hydrated enough; maybe fatigue leading to some of the heavier metal targets (the rams weighed sixty pounds each, I'm told) being dropped on some tired kid's feet. But the idea that the welded seam on a commercially purchased spray can would pop open, and the can's raw contents would go flying out, at high speed ... no one on that range saw THAT injury coming.

To bring back the Revenge of the Nerd / Back To School movie references: just because guys on Usenet's rec.models.scale, or similar, once may have wanted nerds to be hurt, doesn't mean we should comply with their wishes. And we should definitely not put ourselves in danger's way.

So in summary: please do not make your friends and/or your students bring Sam Kinison back to life, and then get together, to select that man as this group's new "Shop Safety Supervisor"?!

"Be safe, please, good sir"!! (And that of course goes for the rest of us, here, too!!)

Many thanks for this advice indeed …. though I‘m afraid, that it will be regarded by many as something like „always read the manual before“, or „never agree to GTCs before reading them“.
For me, luckily, the solution is called presbyopia. Reading glasses are cheap, generally made from plastics, and relatively strong. And, having to use them for about twenty years now, there were at least two cases, when fragments of a broken driller and of a shattered scalpell blade were knocking at them from the outside, both occasions, I would never have thought about wearing protection goggles before !

There’s the old say in German „If you do this once again, I‘ll never look at you !“

Many thanks for this advice indeed …. though I‘m afraid, that it will be regarded by many as something like „always read the manual before“, or „never agree to GTCs before reading them“.
For me, luckily, the solution is called presbyopia. Reading glasses are cheap, generally made from plastics, and relatively strong. And, having to use them for about twenty years now, there were at least two cases, when fragments of a broken driller and of a shattered scalpell blade were knocking at them from the outside, both occasions, I would never have thought about wearing protection goggles before !

There’s the old say in German „If you do this once again, I‘ll never look at you !“
Thanks for this pearl of wisdom, Jemiba - as a native German, I wasn't aware of that saying before!

... may have been from an old movie, or something like that, but it was frequent in my family. And when I tried to come up with it (a long time ago) , at least some colleagues knew it, too.
Perhaps you should add the Berlin dialect : " Machste dit nochmal, kiek ick dich nich mehr an !" ;)

Thanks, guy's. Good advice. I will comply. Scars and burns I'll live with, but don't want to screw up my peepers.

(Once slung molten white-metal into them -- Yup! No eye protection. What a moron!!).

Good stuff, Ward.

David
Most appreciative

... may have been from an old movie, or something like that, but it was frequent in my family. And when I tried to come up with it (a long time ago) , at least some colleagues knew it, too.
Perhaps you should add the Berlin dialect : " Machste dit nochmal, kiek ick dich nich mehr an !" ;)
Ah, I think therein lies the rub - I grew up in the very North of Bavaria, and people from Berlin (which at the blessed time before the wall fall [good times!] apparently had a weird combined insecurity/superiority complex) were about as rare as pink horses...

That sounds like so not you, and I *sincerely* mean that as a compliment ;). You strike me as a truly independent Thinker and Doer, Sir.
... and often a complete dumb-ass when it comes to shop-practices. I do require the occasional kick-in-the-ass.

Independent thinker. No, just stubborn-selfish -- I won't quite till I get what I want... no matter what.

Just a clever guy who knows how to implement the tricks taught me by my betters. Yes, very much a 'doer'.

David