Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

That does not sound good TomcatVIP, metal shavings in fuel? That would lead to a catastrophic loss of engine either during flight or at engine start up, it is a good job that the Marines found the shavings in the fuel.
The plastic scraper left in the wing fold is definitely a failure in tool control, and should never happen (although systems do fail all too often).

The shavings in the fuel tanks is a common issue with new aircraft and after fuel tank maintenance. Those little pieces can escape and hide in places where they cannot be found, until the aircraft flies and sloshes the fuel around. There are fuel strainers for the big stuff and fuel filters for the microscopic bits before they get into engine fuel controls and fuel nozzles where they could cause mischief. Not saying they should be there, but it is almost impossible for the tanks to be 100% clean after manufacture. It is likely the Marines will find some more debris even after their tank flush activity.

Oh, please please please tell me that they're going to give them some tail art of the Hussar's wings!

The plastic scraper left in the wing fold is definitely a failure in tool control, and should never happen (although systems do fail all too often).

The shavings in the fuel tanks is a common issue with new aircraft and after fuel tank maintenance. Those little pieces can escape and hide in places where they cannot be found, until the aircraft flies and sloshes the fuel around. There are fuel strainers for the big stuff and fuel filters for the microscopic bits before they get into engine fuel controls and fuel nozzles where they could cause mischief. Not saying they should be there, but it is almost impossible for the tanks to be 100% clean after manufacture. It is likely the Marines will find some more debris even after their tank flush activity.
At Tramco, the plastic scrapers weren't controlled at all. Yes, you had to go to the tool crib to get one, but they're just acrylic with an angle cut on the ends.

The Marines are going to flush out a LOT more metal shavings from the tanks.

Oh, please please please tell me that they're going to give them some tail art of the Hussar's wings!

At Tramco, the plastic scrapers weren't controlled at all. Yes, you had to go to the tool crib to get one, but they're just acrylic with an angle cut on the ends.

The Marines are going to flush out a LOT more metal shavings from the tanks.
A proper tool control program would require that the scrapers should be turned back in to the tool crib to be accounted for at the end of the work day - one out, one in. The tool crib would then be able to discard the used ones, and there are no stray tools around to be left in the airframe or engine.

We still struggled with accounting for consumable parts like o-rings where an extra could be left in the component.

the flushing should have been made at the factory. I would bet my olive contaminated martini that, with fuel price rising, some clever LM supervisors thought that they would fare good scraping that cost incognito...

A proper tool control program would require that the scrapers should be turned back in to the tool crib to be accounted for at the end of the work day - one out, one in. The tool crib would then be able to discard the used ones, and there are no stray tools around to be left in the airframe or engine.

We still struggled with accounting for consumable parts like o-rings where an extra could be left in the component.
I should add that Tramco hired out the tank-diving to a separate company. They probably had tight control over everything that went into the tank, but I don't know that for certain.

It's not like kerosene dissolves acrylic.

I should add that Tramco hired out the tank-diving to a separate company. They probably had tight control over everything that went into the tank, but I don't know that for certain.

It's not like kerosene dissolves acrylic.

Why would anyone put kerosene on the wing-fold joint (which is where the scraper was found)?

Why would anyone put kerosene on the wing-fold joint (which is where the scraper was found)?
Degreasing, I'd imagine.

Obviously didn't read the article, headline gave the impression that the scraper and metal shavings were found in the fuel tanks.