Ground Launched Small Diameter Bomb (GLSDB)

Plus Russia busting out the heavy jammers and GPS location spoofers.

There's that however Ukraine has been actively hunting and destroying these jammers whenever they can identify them and from what I understand these jammers are very expensive and difficult to replace.

Hopefully Boeing will be busy in identifying fixes to implement on the SDB1s.

With the addition of anti-GPS jammer HOJ seekers used on the GLSDB and the JDAM-ER I predict that Russian GPS jammers will quickly became an endangered "Species" in the Russo-Ukrainian war.
Until they adapt again. Maybe using airborne Jammer then ?

This is a very small contract that falls under “small business innovation.” Call me when there is $10 billion in funding and prime contractors involved.

Under normal circumstances, $10 million might buy the Pentagon a proof of concept. I suspect that this project might be a way of trying to generate something fieldable without compromising truly sensitive tech.

Last edited:
This is a very small contract that falls under “small business innovation.” Call me when there is $10 billion in funding and prime contractors involved.

Best case scenario, $10 million might buy the Pentagon a proof of concept.
??? I know inflation is never ending but $10bn for the aquisition of small electronic devices seems excessive. You could buy around a thousand SM-3 IIAs for that price.

Last edited:
??? I know inflation is never ending but $10bn for the aquisition of small electronic devices seems excessive. You could buy around a thousand SM-3 IIAs for that price.

Reading through the article, it would make a lot more sense to integrate a home-on-GPS jam seeker into an Excalibur 155mm guided shell than a JDAM-ER or SDB-II. If highly localized GPS jammers were easy to triangulate you’d already be taking them out with the equivalent of counter battery fire, not a homing head glide bomb. If the jammers were regional, like the big one in Kalingrad, it would be the job for something like AARGM. This solution seems as if it would require a fairly permissive air defense environment.

An anti-GPS jammer capability is going to be necessary for even non-peer expeditionary warfare going forward, with the illustration of generic cruise missiles from the 2018 brochure suggesting as much. It’s not an easy puzzle to solve because localized GPS jammers can potentially be quite numerous.

Last edited:

Reading through the article, it would make a lot more sense to integrate a home-on-GPS jam seeker into an Excalibur 155mm guided shell than a JDAM-ER or SDB-II.
Yes, but SDB2 is one of the last places I'd install the HOJ seekers, it's got other seekers it can use. JDAMs and SDB1 don't.

An anti-GPS jammer capability is going to be necessary for even non-peer expeditionary warfare going forward, with the illustration of generic cruise missiles from the 2018 brochure suggesting as much. It’s not an easy puzzle to solve because localized GPS jammers can be quite numerous.
Needs a datalink between weapons and a way to call targets.

Dump an MLRS battery full of GL-SDB with HOJ seekers and watch all the jammers go away.

Reading through the article, it would make a lot more sense to integrate a home-on-GPS jam seeker into an Excalibur 155mm guided shell than a JDAM-ER or SDB-II. If highly localized GPS jammers were easy to triangulate you’d already be taking them out with the equivalent of counter battery fire, not a homing head glide bomb. If the jammers were regional, like the big one in Kalingrad, it would be the job for something like AARGM. This solution seems as if it would require a fairly permissive air defense environment.

An anti-GPS jammer capability is going to be necessary for even non-peer expeditionary warfare going forward, with the illustration of generic cruise missiles from the 2018 brochure suggesting as much. It’s not an easy puzzle to solve because localized GPS jammers can potentially be quite numerous.
Raises a question as to how much an Excalibur can deviate mid-flight though.

Yes, but SDB2 is one of the last places I'd install the HOJ seekers, it's got other seekers it can use. JDAMs and SDB1 don't.
I think the idea is that you fire a standard GPS at your target of choice plus a HOJ. They can either shut down the jammer and let the former hit the target or they can keep the jammer on and lose the jammer. Sort of like SEAD for GPS jammers, or SEJ if that's a thing.

Raises a question as to how much an Excalibur can deviate mid-flight though.

I think the idea is that you fire a standard GPS at your target of choice plus a HOJ. They can either shut down the jammer and let the former hit the target or they can keep the jammer on and lose the jammer. Sort of like SEAD for GPS jammers, or SEJ if that's a thing.
A radar can see an incoming ARM missile but unless it is networked with radar, a GPS jammer wouldn’t? Moreover, I wouldn’t think that jammers would be heavily manned so who is there to shut it down? Do you really need an operator at a console? Aside from someone to make sure that the diesel generator is running?

Reading through the article, it would make a lot more sense to integrate a home-on-GPS jam seeker into an Excalibur 155mm guided shell than a JDAM-ER or SDB-II.

A lot more complicated to harden electronics against 13,000g launch acceleration, though. Most of Copperhead's costs were due to that, even though ( from memory ) its maximum charge only generated 8,000g

That would be incredibly difficult. The forces involved from cannon launch are enormous, far more so than from an MLRS or aerial launch.

The best place for a HOJ sensor is on the end of a drone...like the Israeli HARPY/HAROP. The ability to loiter, return for re-use and have its terminal attack potentially guided via a EO/IR sensor with a datalink to human operator would make far more sense.

A radar can see an incoming ARM missile but unless it is networked with radar, a GPS jammer wouldn’t? Moreover, I wouldn’t think that jammers would be heavily manned so who is there to shut it down? Do you really need an operator at a console? Aside from someone to make sure that the diesel generator is running?
Well, I was assuming there was some kind of communication between the radar and the EW station but maybe not. I guess the EW station just gets hit then if there's no operator to shut it down. The blast radius of a JDAM should cover the accuracy requirement minus dedicated terminal homing. After all, HARMs only have a 125lb warhead, so a 1,000lb warhead should more than suffice.

Back
Top Bottom