Defense against Hypersonic Glide Vehicles

Implies it will be a long range large and very powerful and very high Mach missile with the associated necessary big radar and a LEO satellite constellation system for continuous coverage.
If you can catch them out of the atmosphere, it's better. They can't maneuver except via very easy to detect RCS thrusters, and maneuvering much out of atmosphere can either mess up their re-entry or make it very difficult to hit the target.

Would that also imply for intercepting SRAM hypersonic cruise missiles that fly at lower altitude with in the earths atmosphere will require totally different missile system or perhaps rely on THAAD?
Probably. Something like SM3 is exo-atmospheric only, it basically cannot maneuver inside the atmosphere. THAAD or Patriot PAC3MSE can maneuver inside the atmosphere, even if the missiles are actually capable of reaching over 100km up.

Implies it will be a long range large and very powerful and very high Mach missile with the associated necessary big radar and a LEO satellite constellation system for continuous coverage. Would that also imply for intercepting SRAM hypersonic cruise missiles that fly at lower altitude with in the earths atmosphere will require totally different missile system or perhaps rely on THAAD?
Wonder if it's the SM-6 IB now that it's been revealed that it also has a BMD function.

1715091818342.png

I suspect GPI will require a endo/exo atmospheric capability like THAAD.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if SM-6 IB looked like the item second from right. If they're using the same variant for surface strike and I assume there's only one SM-6 IB, it's going to be real interesting watching adversary SAMs trying to intercept an air vehicle with DACT closing at Mach 5. :cool:

1715092698629.png

I wouldn't be at all surprised if SM-6 IB looked like the item second from right. If they're using the same variant for surface strike and I assume there's only one SM-6 IB, it's going to be real interesting watching adversary SAMs trying to intercept an air vehicle with DACT closing at Mach 5. :cool:
DACT and some drunk-walking algorithms, for roughly random maneuvering...

Gonna reveal some new profanity for sure! :D