Boeing Starliner

I was watching the stream and the live stream chat had the occasional Boeing joke.

Went on my jog and came back to news of a scrub. The chat was full of Boeing jokes.

They had no mercy.

Edit: Of course it was an issue with the Centaur so not really Boeings fault. But still....

Last edited:
I was watching the stream and the live stream chat had the occasional Boeing joke.

Went on my jog and came back to news of a scrub. The chat was full of Boeing jokes.

They had no mercy.

Edit: Of course it was an issue with the Centaur so not really Boeings fault. But still....
Just like how any engine issue with a Boeing is still Boeing's fault.

View: https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1787680410970820723

A5/Starliner CFT: Bruno said if this had been a satellite launch, engineers would have carried out a realtime procedure to reseat the valve and the satellite would be in orbit; but the flight rule for a piloted launch forbids any alterations of the rocket in its "fueled state;" as a result, the launch was scrubbed

Here’s Tory from the press conference:

View: https://youtu.be/HYh-0wmUykA

The issue with Atlas has happened before of late, but as you can see from the post above can be fixed at pad on an uncrewed flight, but rules are different here.

Next launch attempt NET 10th May.

So the launch rocket had to be de-tanked first before the fix on the LOX valve could be made?

So the launch rocket had to be de-tanked first before the fix on the LOX valve could be made?
As a manned mission? Yes. No manipulating valves once fueled for a manned mission.

If it was an unmanned mission, they'd have electronically bumped that valve a couple of times before scrubbing the launch.

This is odd
Starliner launch is postpone to 17 May, do stuck value in ULA Centaur stage
while News, Social media and Youtube blame Boeing for that...

At least they are taking the time to fix the valve Michel Van for it to be postponed to 17 May. It is also odd why Boeing get's the blame when it is clearly UCL's problem after all they are the ones who supplied the rocket, Boeing are the ones who supplied the capsule. I also wonder who supplied the wonky valve in the first place?

At least they are taking the time to fix the valve Michel Van for it to be postponed to 17 May. It is also odd why Boeing get's the blame when it is clearly UCL's problem after all they are the ones who supplied the rocket, Boeing are the ones who supplied the capsule. I also wonder who supplied the wonky valve in the first place?
Wonky Valves, Inc.?

The media is incapable of understanding that engines/rockets come from a different maker than the capsule.

It is also odd why Boeing get's the blame when it is clearly UCL's problem after all they are the ones who supplied the rocket,

Someone needs to point out to the press that Boeing doesn't manufacture the Centaur rocket-stage of that matter the entire launch rocket.

Someone needs to point out to the press that Boeing doesn't manufacture the Centaur rocket-stage of that matter the entire launch rocket.
No, Boeing needs to at least threaten to sue some reporters for defamation, because it's NOT THEIR PRODUCT that had caused the launch failure.

No, Boeing needs to at least threaten to sue some reporters for defamation, because it's NOT THEIR PRODUCT that had caused the launch failure.

I hadn't thought of that, what Boeing needs to do is contact the news agencies who've made this claim, point out their mistake and demand that they publish a retraction. If they don't well then Boeing's lawyers response will be "See you in court" before Boeing files a defamation lawsuit.

I hadn't thought of that, what Boeing needs to do is contact the news agencies who've made this claim, point out their mistake and demand that they publish a retraction. If they don't well then Boeing's lawyers response will be "See you in court" before Boeing files a defamation lawsuit.
Not in a million years, could you imagine trying prove damages suffered by Boeing, which would be necessary. Especially, when Boeing has managed to come up ways to damage themselves heretofore never thought possible - i.e. - using the wrong tape on wiring for the entire capsule. Well, I guess they are consistent. The girls and boys at Boeing better learn to live with it. They created their own beast.

Not in a million years, could you imagine trying prove damages suffered by Boeing, which would be necessary. Especially, when Boeing has managed to come up ways to damage themselves heretofore never thought possible - i.e. - using the wrong tape on wiring for the entire capsule. Well, I guess they are consistent. The girls and boys at Boeing better learn to live with it. They created their own beast.
So, you'd be okay with every media outlet slandering your work, when what caused it is literally something provided by NASA?

More details from Tory Bruno on the valve issue:

It kinda reads to me that the issue is that the fault was picked up by the noise ... people by chance hearing it near the rocket. And not some other established safety system? ie. safety protocols.

View: https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1788517469625172470

It was detected by near by accelerometers

yeah... wouldnt expect a buzzing relief valve to do much except possibly damage itself if it opens and closes enough times

View: https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1788517814749343905

If I'm correctly, the valves are multipurpose. Not only over-pressure relief, but mechanical/electrical/remotely contolled solenoid or motor for "manual" open/close operation of ports.

View: https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1788518342787006482

Sort of. It has a solenoid that allows us to command it closed when we don't want it operating at all.

So it has to re-cycle and get back to its prior State before the elements around the valve got weirded out by the gas situation well that's what I got out of what you said anyway

View: https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1788518505748336764

Pretty much

Buzzing, chatter? Weak spring oscillation? Airbubble? FOD? Faulty seal? Metal fatigue? Internal corrosion? Scored cyclinder wall? Hairline cracked housing? Several possibilities. Would be interesting to attempt to reproduce condition in lab after replaced. Go Starliner, Go ULA

View: https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1788519405418140009

No. Just the very unique temp, stiffness, and almost closed boundary layer flow (kind of like ground effect) that this type of pressure regulating valve will sometimes get into. Which is why cycling will often interrupt it.

Either those are fantastically sensitive accelerometers or that valve was shaking BAD.

This sounds like something that should be put into the valve control software. Valve fluttering? automatically cycle open/shut.

Either that or the rule about "Thou shalt NOT cycle valves once the stack is fueled" needs revision.